"We have more reasons to love each other based on our common humanity than to victimize one another because of any difference."

Monday, March 1, 2010

A River Runs Through It


I'm reading my dad's favorite book, A River Runs Through It, or maybe novela is a better word. It's special to me because out of all the thousands of books he's read in his life it's right up there at the top and I'm trying to read it through his eyes. And it's not exactly my style, it's more of a Hemingway man kind of story but, I'm determined to like it and appreciate it. It's about two brothers who fly fish on the banks of Montana. And I can see why my dad loves it, it appeals to the transcendentalist in him.

I've found two things in the small paperback book that made me smile. One was an old sterling silver bookmark with the word Longfellow inscribed into it in neat cursive. The top is a large amythest stone. I showed it to my dad on skype and he said that it had been his mother's and that she gave it to him while in college.

Two, I was reading it today after class when a newspaper clipping fell out. It was old and yellow and my dad had scribbled August 4, 1990 at the top. It was Norman Maclean's obituary clip. I thought that was pretty special.

Next on my list:
The Color Purple (In Spanish)
Three Cups of Tea (In Spanish)
Life of Pi (English)

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'll have to check that book out! I love "the Color Purple" and "Life of Pi" is quite good! You should read some Spanish literature while you're in Spain. One of my favorites was "Primera Memoria." (http://www.amazon.com/Primera-Memoria-Ana-Maria-Matute/dp/8423307263)

It's about a girl living during the Spanish Civil War and growing up. A really great book.

Caitlin said...

I've been reading a lot of Spanish Lit.
Im currently reading Don Quijote and Requiem de un Campesino Espanol. And just finished Luces de Bohemia.

I've got two lit classes this semester so they are keeping me busy.

Lindsay said...

Awesome! Go girl! Please let me know if you encounter any good Spanish reads! I need to practice.