"We have more reasons to love each other based on our common humanity than to victimize one another because of any difference."

Friday, December 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


There is a growing colony of spiders in my mom's drafty little office. She refuses to get rid of them stating, "They aren't hurting anyone". My mom is an amazing person and today is her birthday. I wish I was home to give her a big hug and make our classic chocolate birthday cake but I'll see her very soon! (4 days!)

I learned a lot of my best qualities from her. Things like standing up for myself, being a strong well grounded person, and my resiliency and determination.

My mom had and still continues to have such a huge impact on my life. When I was little she developed my passion for arts and crafts by bringing home bits of cardboard, ribbon, clothes pins, nick knacks, fabric and anything else she thought I would like. I can't count the number of trips to Michaels she has made to buy colored duck tape and popcicle sticks.

I like spending time with my mom and talking to her. I remember specifically one summer day when Ben and I dragged her out to the front yard to play soccer with us. I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard. Watching her awkwardly trying to dribble or kick a soccer ball had me leaning up against the white picket fence with tears in my eyes. I also love going thrift store shopping with her. We have a great time laughing at all the ridiculous things we find. One time we were in El Cajon at a thrift store and mom sat down in this old ugly green leather recliner and fell asleep in the middle of the store on the display chair. We laughed pretty hard about that one.

So, Happy Birthday mom. I love you so much.

0 comments: