"We have more reasons to love each other based on our common humanity than to victimize one another because of any difference."

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving is a day for families


I have to admit that I am a little sad to spend this Thanksgiving in Barcelona away from my family and friends. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It comes with no expectations except good food and family.

I've been thinking about all the Thanksgivings we have spent with the Reedys (my mom's family in San Francisco). We usually wake up to find mom already making a mess in the kitchen and Uncle Ted already freaking out about it. We all spend most of the morning darting in and out of the kitchen to see what goodies my mom is working on. We make fun of Aunt Jane for not being able to cook. We have an annual soccer game Reddys V. O'Bigelows in which the Reedys always cheat and someone always storms off crying. When Papa was alive we'd all go around complaining about how hot it was in the house because he cranked the thermostat and we'd see if we could get away with cracking the windows. Mom always wants to play a board game and has to drag all of us to the table. Dinner was always fantastic, there was always some amazing homemade pie for dessert.

I love Thanksgiving.
Since I don't have the opportunity to say what I am thankful for at the table I'm going to say it here instead.

First and foremost I am thankful for my wonderful and amazing family. They are always supportive, always loving, and I miss them very much. I am thankful for my beautiful friends who always make me smile and laugh. I am thankful for the opportunities I have been given and for being able to study in Barcelona. And I am thankful for my plane ticket home for Christmas. I can't wait to hug everyone....

Well, I've succeeded in making myself cry.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gooble gooble! I am standing guard just off the kitchen with a fire extinguisher! We are a little late with the bird....but should be eating sometime before November expires! I forgive you for your inflammatory and libelous remarks about me and my peeps. Also, seem we win the fötball competition most every year and there was NO mention of that! You also forgot to mention that you are on a soccer scholarship and failed to even score last year!.

It ain't the same with out you here! I hope you are having a great day!
Hugs and kisses
U/T

Unknown said...

That was a lovely observation about Thanksgiving. It made me cry too. I will read it to the Reedys. By the way, Jane and Kate are pushing for the soccer game and we are not thrilled -- due to all that cheating. Also, Ted broke his collar bone so he is out of action.

The kitchen drama started last night. Ted talked about the mess. The kitchen filled with smoke and aluminum that Jane put on the bottom of the stove to catch the blueberry pie drippings melted to the bottom of the oven. The oven door is currently off its hinges! Fun, fun, fun.

The annual part of Thanksgiving I won't miss is not stopping at Buttonwillow on the long ride back and forth in the car. Remember when we used to pick you up early from OLP after making some excuse and joined the other million people heading up to Northern California for the holiday?

Love you and wish you were here!

Mom

Unknown said...

Dear Ms. Caitlyn (one of my favorite relatives),
Seems as though you've overlooked a few details about our annual soccer match in which the Bigelow's always have a case of the "sour grapes" because the Reedy's are a far superior team (without cheating)! One more item, that case of the tears last year was when my dear Caitlyn tackled my darling little 6 year old Kate. Surely, if a ref. was there, we would have received a direct kick on goal!!!! So, we truly miss you at the Reedys and will take the Bigelows on without you...Ted is on the sideline with a broken collar but we figure that we still have a great chance of keeping on the tradition of beating the Bigelow on the field!!!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving...sounds like a wonderful adventure...love you!!! Jane